December 20, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree

Today, by 7:00 am, our Christmas tree was out on the curb ready to be taken away.

It started on Friday when we noticed the tree was not looking very happy.  Boyfriend checked the water.  Full.  We were diligent about watering it. But despite that... the tree wasn't just dying... it was dead.

Then proceeded the discussion of leaving it up until Christmas.  It's only 7 days away.  OR taking it down.  Those dried out needles are going to get everywhere and our vacuum pretty much almost doesn't work at the moment!  What to do what to do.

Boyfriend won the debate.  We left the tree UP.

We had a fun weekend.  Went to an Ugly Sweater/Birthday/Christmas party.
Boyfriend totally won "Ugliest Sweater" prize.  I, personally, was shocked that he went with the whole turtleneck-vest outfit I brought home from the thrift store in the first place.  He put it on and I couldn't stop laughing.  Doesn't he look like a 12 year old boy going to his choir concert?  Love him!

...but the house smelled funny.  I couldn't put my nose on the source.  UNTIL 3:00am in the morning when I was up with Ava (4 yr old).  I figured out that the dead rotting tree and the full bucket of water reeked!!!  Like rancid moth balls.

Therefor, by 7:00am the tree was out on the curb.
Garbage pick up is today, so it was a good day to go.  Boyfriend noticed the stench too, once he was close enough.

He helped me undecorate & unlight & drag the tree out before he left for work.  He was late.
Remember how our vacuum doesn't work so well... well it doesn't work at all now after this clean up.
(just so people don't think I'm totally stupid, I did pick up the majority of the needles by hand before vacuuming)
Luckily the Big Girls were more than happy to share their tree that was up in the play room.  It displays all of our cherished handmade ornaments.
Taa Daa!  I kind of like the idea now of having a tree up on a table.  I can hide all the gifts under the blanket - away from the eye of these two crawling rugrats...
I can't decide if Emory is giving me "evil eye" because she can't attack the presents anymore or because I have them dressed in their Halloween ensembles in December.

OH!  And if anyone is still reading this, I  have one more tid bit to my story...

The garbage truck came.  I watched him empty my garbage can, then drive on by my Christmas tree!  I ran out the door with Ava in tow.  "Hay!  Hay!" I was yelling.  The garbage guy IGNORED me!  He just kept on emptying garbage cans, driving on, emptying garbage cans, driving on.  I couldn't catch him!
I called the garbage number.  Turns out, picking up a Christmas tree is a scheduled event and an extra fee!  My tree would cost $15 and I would have to chop it up because apparently a 6 foot tree is "too big for the truck".  I suggested that I could probably cut up the tree and put it in my garbage can.  Then it would be free.

So guess what Boyfriend is doing now at 9:30pm... 

THE END

14 comments:

Heather said...

OH MY HECK. that is so funny. i love.love.love. Aaron's outfit. so classic!!! i did an ugly sweater party at my house last year & i think i laughed, cried, & about peed my pants over how awesome everyone looked. WAY TO GO!
sorry about the tree....

Merry Christmas!
xoxo

Amy said...

That is too funny!!

By the way -- cute hair!

Becky said...

So, are you fully converted to fake trees now, or are you going to try again next year? The playroom tree is really cute!

april said...

Oh how sad!! Poor you, and poor Aaron! What a trooper.

If it makes you feel better, we can't put our tree up at all because our dumb cat actually eats the light bulbs, glass and all. Bah humbug!

Unguren said...

I have so much to say....
1- That sweater is awesome. So is the turtle neck. I am glad he won, because...well...could it get any worse/better?
2- Blake's mom used to put their Christmas tree in a pack and play so that the kids couldn't touch the ornaments when they were little.
3- I am fairly certain that Emory is giving you the "Whatcha talking about Mom?" look.
4- We use our garbage can for all sorts of things like dead leaves...except now our garbage can smells like rotting leaves. Ooops.

Jen said...

That is just about the funniest story I have heard about a tree this year, or any year. My mom had a somewhat similar story......I have only ever known fake trees because of it.

Darleen said...

I can NOT believe he wore the turtle neck. You know...he used to have a white turtleneck that he'd wear all the time growing up. So sorry about the christmas tree. I guess it wasn't from a prime crop or something. glad you got it out before it became a hazard--although it looked like it was from all the pine needles!

Harlene said...

Love you guys!

Okay, I totally don't get what's wrong with the turtleneck?

The only tree we have is the same size as your playroom tree.

Thru the whole story I was thinking, "What? The Garbageman in Colorado will pick up your tree anytime??

Miss those girlies!

Robyn said...

Now THAT'S a story from which memories are made. You guys will recount that story for the rest of your lives. How funny - especially the garbage truck part. Have a very merry Christmas with that sweet family of yours!!

Dana said...

What a sad story about your Christmas tree... I did however enjoy you two in those "pretty" Christmas sweaters. Priceless.
I love how Ava and Eden always pose for pictures...natural entertainers I guess. Hope you had a great Christmas.

Jonathan Waite said...

Carolyn,
Just punishment to Aaron for wearing that sweater.

the little darlings said...

all i have to say is good for you for running after that garbage man. even though he wasn't going to get it, it takes balls running after him with a kid in tow that early in the morning. and shouting! good for you:)

Gina said...

What a story! Wow, and it's so entertaining when you write it all out, Carolyn. I am sorry your tree died an early death.

I can't get over that photo of you two in the ugly sweaters. Before I read the post I thought it MUST be an old photo from like 10 years ago. Crap, how do you guys stay so young?

Jeni Allen said...

We dismantled a box spring for the very same reason. Come to find out, those springs are awesome marshmallow roasters!

Related Posts with Thumbnails