December 4, 2010

A Conversation

Went to Walgreens with Ava and the twins.

I always get attention when I'm out with the twins, but especially when I'm out with the twins and one or both of my other girls.

This time we got the attention of an older gentlemen.  He was sweet and nice and thought the girls were "pretty little treasures".  He had so much to say to them and to Ava.  But the conversation ended a little awkwardly.

Gentleman: "I can't believe how alert and responsive your babies are.  How old are they?"
Me: "Seven months."
Gentleman: "Oh, only that old? Are thy identical?"
Me: "No, actually they are not.  They are fraternal."

Long Pause and look of confusion...

Gentleman: "What does that mean?"
Me: "Uhhhhhh...."

I didn't want to make him feel like a dummy, but how do I answer that in a way that (this man - who if asked this question in the first place, probably couldn't handle a detailed answer) would understand?  So I just said,

"Opposite of identical."
Gentleman: "Oh".

He walked away.


Emory & Aspen 7 months.
A couple of things these babies both enjoy - being naked and playing with the wipes.

8 comments:

Clint C. said...

That's funny! (afterwards). I once took Tal to an ultrasound appointment and he explained to the doctor in detail the difference between fraternal and identical twins. The doctor asked, "So what happens after the sperm and the egg come together?" Tal said, "The man has less sperm." Such a sacrifice. ;)

nickel... said...

Perhaps instead of dropping big word like "fraternal" you should lead with "opposite of identical" :)

And is it me or is Aspen striking an "I do declare!" sort of pose in that last shot?

Hailey said...

So do you really like to take them all out with you just for all the attention? I thought so.

Oh I miss all your cuties already!

Becky said...

Yeah, the "two eggs were fertilized intead of one" answer might have been a little too much for both of you in that situation, so good answer!

Jason said...

We think you should of told him, they have different fathers:)

Marlena said...

So funny! And the Aspen face and pose remind me of your mom for some reason. Did you have a great time in Vegas? Do you have your Christmas tree up with it's lovely ornaments? Miss you.

J.ME said...

He probably couldn't recite the National Anthem either.:) Your girls are so darling! And you are a wonderful momma! When you get a sec, send me your address.

Love ya girl!

Unguren said...

People are so weird.

Related Posts with Thumbnails