November 10, 2010

Hexi Flower Power

I'm always trying to steal a moment of the day to work on another hexi block.  I have lofty goals in mind for them.
I would love a queen sized quilt for our bed.  Here they are layed out.  I think I could get away with only making 9 more, and then start working on the assemble.  My major hick-up is that I'm a girl without a plan.  I'm just kind of going for it.  I don't know exactly how I'm going to assemble these and what I'll do with the rest of the quilt space I will need to fill in.  I do know I want the hexi flowers to be the only color, so the rest of the quilt will probably be out of the same unbleached muslin fabric.  Then there is the major hurdle of how I'm going to quilt this!  All suggestions and tips are appreciated!

A few weekends ago I went to an estate sale, for one purpose and one purpose only...
I saw this quilt!  It was made in the 1970's.  I love the vintage fabrics.  I like to think each one picked out has it's own story.
But I REALLY appreciate the time that went in to making this.  The whole thing is made out of hexagons!  They were asking $100 - and I made away with it for $40!

9 comments:

Clint C. said...

I'll share with you the idea I had yesterday to finish the crazy quilt I've been working on for 5+ years! I thought I'll piece it together then make it into a duvet cover with a snuggly fleece underside for the boys beds. Kind of a cop out, but I don't have my Mom's quilting bee to do it the real way!

Callie said...

Looking good, Carolyn! Just go with the picture in your head... then you will always know that it was all you! (I always like to ask the ladies at the fabric store too, they always have great ideas.) Can't wait to see the finished product!

Melynie said...

Good job, Carolyn!! Looks great so far! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Unguren said...

I have been working on a quilt just like that for years. My mom made one and I liked it so I made one too. All of my pieces are hexagons like the one you bought at the garage sale. All my pieces are sewn by hand though which takes a long time...hence the reason it is not finished.

Amy F said...

And how are you finding time for this again? Just wondering. Looking great!

Sherrie said...

$40??? What a steal!

For your own one though, hand quilt it or have it machine quilted... no ties please, you've worked so hard.

Emily Reese said...

Fantastic blog! You already know I love the quilt... Emily

Harlene said...

I'm not sure what is most impressive-

How darling the quilt blocks are coming along?

That they are coming along?

Or the haggle queen you must be?

Since you've already done so much by hand, I would stick with that. And then insist on being both buried and resurrected in it!

kj said...

Your quilt so going to be so amazing. In fact, I'm inspired to try it myself (and I'm not a quilter!)

I really believe from the bottom of my heart that you should take it to someone who has a quilting machine and have them quilt it for you. It will take maybe an hour and be so beautiful. And it will get done. Which is much better than just dreaming of it being done.

Related Posts with Thumbnails